The Southern Psychiatric Association and the Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association present:
Resilience: COVID-19 and Beyond
Conference to be presented virtually Oct. 7-8
All previously submitted registrations will be transferred to the virtual meeting. Refunds of the difference in registration fees will be issued after the completion of the conference. The deadline to cancel your registration is Monday, October 4, 2022. To cancel, send an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Medical Association of the State of Alabama through the joint providership of the Medical Foundation of Alabama and the Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association. The Medical Foundation of Alabama is accredited by the Medical Association of the State of Alabama to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
At the end of the SPA/APPA 2021 Conference, participants will be able to:
- Assess the impact of social determinants on people with mental illness and incorporating recovery into treatment planning.
- Recognize disparities in availability and quality of mental health care across difference populations.
- Describe key features of ethical challenges in psychiatry and a plurality of approaches to address them.
- Describe efforts to prevent the use of seclusion and restraints in the treatment of people in psychiatric hospitals.
- Describe the mechanisms of action of the newest antidepressants and their effect on patients.
- Recognize situations that threaten the doctor/patient relationship in regard to social media and prescribing to family members.
- Review current COVID-19 guidelines and regulations.
- Identify actions that promote racial bias and inequitable mental health care among various populations.
- Describe the impact of historical and modern colonialism on psychiatry and psychology, and how it can cause racial health disparities.
- Cite America’s history of racial injustice and mass incarceration, and the resulting effects on the physical and psychological health of minorities.
- Review the importance and challenges of improving diversity among psychiatrists and other healthcare providers in order to encourage minority populations to seek help.
Transcripts will be available for download from the Medical Association of the State of Alabama website eight (8) weeks after the date of the educational event. Go to www.alamedical.org/CMEtranscript and follow the instructions to print or download your CME transcript. For assistance, please call Margaret McGuire at (334) 954-2500.
Future APPA Meeting Dates and Locations
March 31-April 2, 2022
The Lodge at Gulf State Park
October 7-8, 2022
Marriott Resort Auburn-Opelika Grand National
The Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association is proudly managed by the Medical Association of the State of Alabama.