Who We Are
The Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association is a district branch of the American Psychiatric Association. APPA is the only association exclusively representing psychiatrists in the State of Alabama.
Membership with the Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association also means membership with the American Psychiatric Association, the largest psychiatric membership organization in the world. For more than 165 years, APPA has provided the tools and resources to nurture and preserve the profession of psychiatry.
APPA’s educational opportunities also extend to Alabama’s psychiatric practice managers making the association the only source in the state for real world education for real world situations for your administrators.
The Association is governed by a council of 10 members. To view photos and professional biographies of the APPA Council, click here.
APPA’s mission is to:
- Promote the highest quality care for individuals with mental disorders, including intellectual developmental disorders and substance use disorders;
- Promote psychiatric education and research;
- Advance and represent the profession of psychiatry; and
- Serve the professional needs of its membership.
APPA’s goals include:
- Promoting professional values and ethics in the practice of psychiatry;
- Improving patient access to quality mental health care;
- Encouraging an environment of lifelong learning and professional development; and
- Counseling on education and advocacy for the profession, patients and their families.
The Alabama Psychiatric Physicians Association is proudly managed by the Medical Association of the State of Alabama.